Will Rescue for Food Will Rescue for Food

This is incredible! I can't believe all the characters are your voice. My only suggestion is maybe slow down your speech just a BIT for some of the characters. I realize that part of the character is the speed, but at times it can be difficult to understand what they are saying some of the time. Also the ambient crowd sfx could be lowered just a little bit.

ECHO - Inexorable ECHO - Inexorable

My only advice on this would be to tone down the reverb on this string accents at the end. It doesn't have to be completely down, but I feel that if the strings sounded less "wet" they would have a bigger impact and give it would give more "force" to the accents.

ECHO - Eye of the Dragon ECHO - Eye of the Dragon

There are a couple things that I would suggest:

~2:50 is where I'd like to hear more of the choir. With the ethnic drums, you have a very "African" vibe to the piece, and I think the choral aspect of African music would compliment this nicely. The choir doesn't have to be by itself, but I feel like if it was brought more into the foreground, it would aid in this "flying over the jungle" feel you have created.

Echo responds:

"First of all, REALLY impressed by this. The overall quality is great, and the melody you used is very memorable. I love the percussion writing too, those ethnic drums really add to the thrill of the piece."

Thank you for the compliments. Coming from a great composer like yourself, they really mean a lot :)

"2:00 The percussion are here like I said is great, but to me it's too far in the foreground. It's hard for me to pay attention to the melodic parts because the small, ethnic rhythm is so "close" to the "mics". Maybe take the close mics back a bit (if you have them on) and turn up the surrounds."

Yes that particular set of drums has been a problem from the start and I've spent a lot of time tweaking them to get them to sound right. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

"2:40 It feels like you're about to go into this grand melodic line with the strings, but you don't. The cymbal kind of creates this feel of something being revealed, to which the strings would be the grand beauty of it, if you get what I'm saying. But you put the strings (violins) back and opt for the guitar again. Personally I'd bring the strings out here, and have them be very lush and "sweeping" to aid the "grandiose" feel of the piece."

Again I wasn't too sure what I should go for here. I wanted the re entrance of the melody to be familiar and yet new at the same time so I opted for a layering of the guitar and the strings. Its possible I may have misjudged the importance I could've given to the strings. I'll try and tweak that around.

"2:50 is where I'd like to hear more of the choir. With the ethnic drums, you have a very "African" vibe to the piece, and I think the choral aspect of African music would compliment this nicely. The choir doesn't have to be by itself, but I feel like if it was brought more into the foreground, it would aid in this "flying over the jungle" feel you have created."

I didn't want to bring the choirs too much into the foreground because strictly speaking they aren't part of the orchestra so I shouldn't give them too much importance to fit into the MAC rules. I'll try and tweak their depth level around a bit see what I get.

"Obviously those are just my opinions, so you are of course welcome to disagree. Just friendly suggestions ;)"

It's these types of suggestions that I enjoy getting, because they help me improve my style and give me the knowledge of composers more experienced than I am :)

"I'm curious, what sample did you use for the "flute" sound at from ~2:15 to ~2:30?"

Its the QLEG patch for the 3 Flutes in the Platinum Plus Library, layered with the STAC RR patch (also 3 Flutes) and a XIAO Live patch (from Silk) for the trills. Lots of layering and confusion but it sounds nice i guess :P

All in all, thanks a heap for the review. I appreciate the criticism :)

Thanks,

Erik Scerri
- Echo Productions

Sanctuary Sanctuary

First of all, I LOVE the percussion around1:05. Very small touch that had a huge effect on the feel. You certainly did a great job of changing the mood. I see this fitting perfectly into things like the Brackenwood series...it has the mystical, natural quality to it.

My only bone to pick with this is that I feel like the harp dragged on too long by itself. But other than that really great! Good luck!

Step responds:

Thanks a lot for dropping by, man!

Very glad you enjoyed it. As for the harp dragging on too long - you may have a point. I don't know why but when I start songs with soft intros I can never seem to make the intro just the right length - it's either too short or too long (an example of this is the piano intro in my pop song A New Leaf).

Ah well, other people seemed to like the harp in the intro. I guess you can't please everyone!

Thanks again mate, much appreciated!

Apocalypse 2012 Apocalypse 2012

I feel like you should have started it a little mellower, in order to make the more intense parts seem....well more intense. The second half, from maybe about 3:00 on felt a lot more "together" than the first half. I guess the main problem I have is that it felt too "busy". Maybe you could have had a section where most of the instruments drop out, and maybe go into a quick percussion solo.

But overall, a great track, and you got the "disaster" feel down pretty well. Good luck in the contest!

'10 Reprise of The Brave '10 Reprise of The Brave

Beat me to it!

I was thinking about doing something similar to this! THEIF! THEIF!

Haha, but seriously this is really good. Having the chords not match up in the beginning really helped to keep the piece "unsettled" until the louder section. A very excellent interpretation on an excellent piece.

EvilRaccoon responds:

Hey Varrin! Thanks very much. Dont feel like I'm steeling your thunder, you should certainly give it a shot, it could be quite cool to hear another interpretation of it. :D

Thanks again!

Arival To Earth (Piano) Arival To Earth (Piano)

Good piece...

Just not yours. I'm not saying this is stolen. It is a legitimate remake. Thing is though I don't feel like you added that much to it. Yes, you put the piano in as the melodic instrument, but as a whole I don't feel that you added anything significant to the piece.

IlIlIlIlIl responds:

Its what you would call a "Cover song" but thank you anyway.

Orchestral Idea #1 Orchestral Idea #1

Good start.

I think that it should get off to a quicker start after the strings come in. Maybe some staccato and what not. The piece needs to get intense! The progression really lends itself to a dramatic feeling IMO.

Step responds:

Yeah, I see what you mean. I can imagine this as an intense orchestral submission :D. Yeah my songs tend to be quite dramatic lol.

I feel uncomfortable that the first song you ever hear which is mine is a WiP I finished in less than an hour :P. But whatever, thanks for the review!

Rondo Alla Turca in 8bit Rondo Alla Turca in 8bit

Nice spin on a favorite of mine.

Personally I would agree that this should be changed to Video Game, but hey it's up to you. You did a lot more of it than I would expect, which is nice. Overall a very good arrangement, didn't sound to different from the original.

Phreneticus responds:

Before the recent redesign of Newgrounds, it wasn't possible to change the genre after uploading your song. Now that I have the possibility, I changed the genre according to your suggestion.

Thanks for the review.

PrTr: 06: Clash of Armour PrTr: 06: Clash of Armour

Excellent. Really exhilarating!

Very well done! I love the basses in the choirs. What library are you using for them?

EvilRaccoon responds:

Hey Varrin, just the usual EWChoir Basses. :) Thanks for the score and comments!